You feel really frustrated when the pet dog, the lovely Golden Retriever, starts jumping on your friends or acquaintances every time they visit your place. At the moment, you either try to control them by tying them or make sure to keep them tied, till the guests leave.
Golden Retriever, a cuddly dog, is one of the successful cross breed originated from Scotland. It is quite sociable and active dog. They are good watchdogs, a true companion, and a playmate for your kids and also a well mannered dog.
Golden Retrievers like to please everyone around them and hence, they tend to jump or communicate with people around them, even if there are strangers.
The dogs have great sense of smell than other breeds, and are able to sniff out anything hidden or dangerous. Hence, they are well appreciated in police and army force. Hunters like to have them as companion while hunting small creatures.
To train your pet dog in order to make it obey some basic commands, leash training and potty training is the most suggested type of training, but it requires patience and consistence. The end result will surely make you feel satisfied and happy to own such a wonderful lovable breed of dog.
Why do your Golden pet starts jumping on people around it?
- They feel excited to see people around them. Hence, they jump to grab the attention.
- They are not trained to behave. Hence, you have to teach it the ways to greet properly.
- It is their way of welcoming you.
- They like to get acquainted with people around. Hence, they will try to get close to the people’s face.
- Sometimes, it may be due to aggression or irritation, which makes them lunge at visitors.
The reasons which make people dislike dogs jumping on them:
- They are unhygienic. Their paws may be dirty.
- The dog nails may tear their garments, if not maintained properly.
- Children can easily get frightened or knocked over. Full grown Golden Retriever can even knock down an adult.
How to stop them jumping on any person?
Well trained dog has less intention of jumping or knocking anyone flat. Your dog needs proper behavioral modification, which can be easily done by consulting experienced dog trainers.
Next time your dog jumps on anyone, ignore it. It is done solely to seek your attention towards it. Continue with what you are doing without even glancing at your pet. It will understand the act was not good enough to have your focus on it.
When they are back to their normal behavior, pet or praise them. You can even reward them with tasty treats. If again your pet starts to jump, then ignore it totally. They are smart enough to know your preferences and won’t do the act again to seek attention.
While the golden dog of yours jumps on anyone or pull some pranks, leave it alone. You can even leave the place or start showing no reaction. It will surely make the dog think and decide to be a well mannered canine, to grab your attention and also to make you love it.